This choose your own adventure story is as real as it gets...
Your students will be writing up a personal storm with this advanced esl writing activity!
ESL Personal Information Writing Activity: Adventures of My Life.
SYNOPSIS: Students get to know each other by writing a choose your own adventure story about themselves/opinions.
LANGUAGE FOCUS: Writing with a time pressure about personal information.
EXAM FOCUS: Task completion for the CAE/CPE Writing Exam.
TIME: 45-90+ minutes
INTERACTION: Solo, pair and group work.
[callout3] The point of this activity is for students to get to know each other by writing about their lives using a set of topic cards and then interviewing each other to confirm student predictions.[/callout3]
Adventures of My Life Writing Procedure:
1. Copy and cut up one set of Life Adventures Cards for every student.
2. BEFORE starting the activity:
(a) put students in pairs and have them discuss what they would like to learn on the course most.
(b) write: 1) grammar; 2) speaking; 3) listening; 4) writing; 5) reading on the board and have students prepare a “how-to learn better” for each of the skills and/or rank them according to personal needs/desires/importance.
(c) give students 3 minutes to create a 2-minute presentation outlining what’s most important in life for them personally. After the 3 minutes has passed, students work in pairs giving their presentations.
VARIATION: alternatively, write the following on the board and/or brainstorm with the class the following topics: 1) Me; 2) Family; 3) Work; 4) Free time; 5) My future and 6) My health. Students should put them in order of importance - and then create a “how-to have the best...” guide for the most important topic. Student can then present their “how-to” in pairs or to the class.
Main Writing Activity
Subscribe TODAY to access this printable interactive PDF - complete with updated teacher notes and printable Adventures of My Life cards for you to energize, motiviate and excite you students with an activity unlike any other you've ever used!
Adventures of my Life Sample Images
Adventures of My Life is a 4-page ESL advanced writing lesson plan that includes:
- A choose-your-own-adventure style writing exercise - creating a fun writing and reading experience!
- Full teacher notes, including step-by-step instructions on how to use all the activities!
- Pre-class preparation procedures.
- four warmer ideas on how to open a course and the topic of "Personal Information."
- An original Classroom Hero main activity which can be used to inspire, motivate and effectively utilize your class time.
- Four follow-up/conclusion activities all designed for your intermediate (B1-B2) ESL students to speak on topic, effectively.
- All our Classroom Hero ESL activities are designed to be used in the most versatile ways! Use the warmers, main activities and/or the follow up materials in the same class or simply pick and choose what works best for your learners!
|1 Full Year Membership $39.99||6 Month Membership $19.99!||5 ESL Activity Downloads $9.99|
While considering whether or not to purchase this amazing activity, please remember that I spend approximately 30 hours creating, writing, designing, testing and rewriting (anywhere from 3 to 6 times!) each of the activities on here. After paying all expenses related to Classroom Hero, all the proceeds help me to support my wife and dog. From all of us at Classroom Hero: Thank you for being a part of our team!